[tlug] WWWJDIC Back door entry

TLUG, Jim,

I'm posting here for two reasons. One is that I remember that WWWJDIC issues are usually handled through it's own mailing list, but can't seem to find it again (though I was on it at one point). So I'm posting here in hopes of getting Jim's attention.

The other reason is that it may not be a WWWJDIC problem. I may have somehow munged my URL encoding or something.

Basically, I have a PHP script that has been accessing the WWWJDIC "back door" functions for a while now. Even just a couple of weeks ago when I used it, there seemed to be no trouble.

However, now, whenever I send any Japanese text through the back door, I get a message saying "There didn't seem to be any Japanese in this text!".

Very odd. The exact URL I'm currently testing with is this:
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?9MIH%BB%FE%B4%D6

It should simply be the word "jikan", (時間), in UTF8 encoded Japanese characters, that have been also URL encoded.

After the cgi? part, the "9" should mean to use the "gloss" dictionary, the one that parses chunks of text and pulls out Japanese words and definitions.

The M is for "backdoor entry". The "I" means UTF-8 text. Lastly, the "H" means "don't show words that repeat". And then after that are is the URL encoded text string.

Like I said, this seemed to be working until very recently. I'm not sure what might have changed on my side, and the WWWJDIC side doesn't seem to have any revisions that would change the syntax.

So I'm baffled.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

--
Dave M G