Re: [tlug] A Swap Question

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

Curt Sampson writes:

> The original "swap should be 2x RAM" recommendation came about because
> earlier Unix systems' memory manager would commit a page of swap for
> every page of RAM in use. Thus, if you had swap equal to RAM, you
> effectively had no swap space.

Nice theory, but the fact of the matter is that up until 2.4 the
recommendation on Linux was 1x RAM.

Sorry, miscommunication here. I was not talking about Linux; I was talking about the (much earlier) origins of the "swap should be 2x RAM" recommendations.

If Linux started out without that, power to it, but that would have been
about a decade after everybody had pretty much decided that 2x swap was
the way to go.

cjs