Re: [tlug] A Swap Question

Curt Sampson writes:

 > The original "swap should be 2x RAM" recommendation came about because
 > earlier Unix systems' memory manager would commit a page of swap for
 > every page of RAM in use. Thus, if you had swap equal to RAM, you
 > effectively had no swap space.

Nice theory, but the fact of the matter is that up until 2.4 the
recommendation on Linux was 1x RAM.  Then it was upped to 2x RAM,
after a period when the Linux VMM went through more changes than an
MCSE at a TLUG nomikai.

It could very well be that the PHBs at Linux Central decided to go
back to the tried and true approach of older Unix systems, though.

Or maybe they're not as smart as we think they are, and it's "new
Coke" job: *No Reason*. ;-)