[tlug] scim and java

Is anyone using scim with java applications, for instance jedit (*). It
didn't work on FC5 for me, and isn't working in ubuntu; Ubuntu Bug
#98890 says it doesn't work, with only a couple of "me too" comments.
Just wondering if it is worth banging my head against this a bit more,
or if I should give up early.

Darren

*: BTW, are there any other editors that can be set to use Shift-JIS
(easily, i.e. staying within a en_* locale, etc.) That is really all I
keep jedit around for. ...making it all the more ironic that I've never
managed to directly input Japanese into it.