[tlug] Thunderbird - sending plain text mail

Sorry, this isn't really a linux question (there are lots of those in the queue), but I'm using Thunderbird in Ubuntu and have elementary problem.

How do I make it just never, never, ever, send emails in html? PayPal's notifications come in html, and I don't seem to be able to send responses to customers other than in what they probably see as a mishmash of fonts. I don't have time now to work out a beautiful html presentation for my mails, and I'd rather just reply to text in text.

I have made various settings here and there, so I can respond to a text msg in text, but can't find a way of escaping when replying to html.

Thanks Brian Chandler http://imaginatorium.org