Re: [tlug] Feedback needed (i.e., website design): KISS

Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
2007/11/1, Keith Bawden <keith@example.com>:
Lynx (or any other text only browser) will help you the see what your
site looks like to search engines, and to text readers and other aids
that visually impaired web surfers use. Text based browsers should be
in the tool kit of ALL web developers - IMHO.
I never heard of that. The perspective may be different because I
never optimize HTML pages for robots. And I have to put myself into
the position of my users whose browers' are IE6 with +.6 probability,
and not lynx or links

This is so true. Personally I am really new to the web development, and found myself in position where I have to adjust code to work with each and every individual browser (IE has been the biggest pain in the butt). I really don't want robots to go any further than the front page, blocking them implicitly, by requiring extra data to be passed in the request body. And honestly, there is nothing to index on my site, because 99% of the content is dynamic, and unless you build a proper request, you will not get a proper response. Being indexed by google, yahoo, etc is important to get proper visibility, but getting to paranoid about it is not good at all. I would rather get several good references to my site than spend time trying to figure out how I can make it google friendly. It is built for regular people to use, and regular people, most of the time require different approach than bots do :). That is why I am seeking feedback, because what is simple and obvious for me might not be as obvious for an average potential user that might use the resource. I really appreciate all the comments, and I hope I will get more. All the input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

http://www.meta-for.org - Open Source software catalog