Re: [tlug] Feedback needed (i.e., website design): KISS

Thanks for the comments. I wonder which version of Konqueror you use. I couldn't reproduce it with the version I have, neither shifted layer, nor missing categories list. And I have the old one, that came with Suse enterprise 9. The only link that is there and doesn't work is FAQ.

Lynx will not work because of extensive use of XMLHttpRequest. Other comments are taken into the account.

Thanks a lot again.

http://www.meta-for.org - Open Source software catalog

jep200404 wrote:
KISS.

Daniel Son wrote:

1) what's people experience using the resource;

Most folks have never heard of your web site, so search engines will be helpful for leading folks to your site. Make it easy for search engines to index _all_ of your site. Follow their recommendations.

   http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=35769

Note the warning about fancy features such as javascript and cookies. _Do_ test with a text browser such as lynx.

Right now, your web site just looks like a hollow stub. Here's what I saw:

   http://www.colug.net/~jep/images/tlug/snapshot1.png
   http://www.colug.net/~jep/images/tlug/snapshot2.png

Many buttons do nothing.

Registration adds couple of options to the search

Many people (including myself) run away from registration, so make it clear that registration is only for advanced features.

Study other web sites, such as freshmeat.net for what they do well and what they do poorly. KISS.