Re: [tlug] ftp client for linux [C&C][1]

Nguyen Vu Hung writes:

 > Being said that, IMHO, emacs are against the phylosophy of gnu
 > project: To create small unilities that replaces existing "same"
 > utilities in other Unix variants at the time.

Well, the GNU Project has no such "sane is beautiful" philosophy.
That's why it lists "Emacs" is one of its earliest and most important
components, and why it lent its name to the GNUMB (sp? ;-) project.

In fact, I think that GNU code runs to bloat for the same reason that
Microsoft's does: the more features you pack in, the more users you
can lock in.

 > That is one reason why emacs couldn't get enough popularity outside
 > the developer community.

Yes, it's one reason, but I think that the politically-driven design
decisions are far more important.

 > "Don't get me wrong". I love emacs but it is too big. When I was a Sys
 > admin, I used vim but emacs is the choice when I am working with C or
 > C++.

The reason for not using Emacsen as a sysadmin isn't size, IMO, it's
security.  A full Emacs implementation basically is a scripting
language which emulates an operating system, with a huge set of
accompanying utilities, all of which need to be audited and nobody
ever has done so.

Footnotes:
[1] Or am I overestimating myself again?