Re: [tlug] RHEL/CentOS vs. latest hardware

> ASUS P5K-VM, and chipset is intel G33/ICH9. Those are normally details I
> don't want to know, but it turns out "ICH9" means "too modern" :-(.

I now have this working with Ubuntu 7.10. Install went quite smoothly,
and being able to test it as a live desktop first was nice. It did hang
on checking the DVD media; and the initial boot was so quiet (i.e. no
text on screen, not even a logo) that I assumed it had crashed and
nearly gave up. I'll leave further ubuntu impressions for a new thread.

For reference my other tries:

Centos 5.0 failed to install, as noted before.

Centos 5.0 + ICH9 kernel patches nearly worked - I tried three times and
each time it locked up at a different point in the installation process.

Fedora 7 2007-09-12 respin: died in the install before it got to the
first question. I assume this means the ICH9 kernel support came after
Sep 12th.

Fedora 8, pre-release: only available via bittorent, so after two days I
still only have half a DVD.

Darren