Re: [tlug] Newbie: WINE Whine

Evan Monroig wrote:

By the way, if you know that the encoding is Shift-JIS, you could
probably set up a Shift-JIS locale for Japanese on your linux setup,
and run your linux version of Ekisupaato using the "export
LC_MESSAGE=ja_JP.SJIS" (if I remember correctly and if a Shift-JIS
locale exists).

Those were my thoughts / questions exactly. Unfortunately, I had my head turned by an especially pretty GUI-based virtual desktop product and I set this aside for later research.

I found that there is a locale called ja_JP.SJIS by looking into
/etc/locale.alias, but I don't know how to add it to the locales
actually used (you could do it with "dpkg-reconfigure locales" on
debian systems but for some reason it doesn't work on ubuntu 7.04).

Doesn't work on 7.10 upgrade, either :-( I will try editing locales manually later today. I have to go try to make some money to pay for my PC habit this morning.

--
CL