Re: [tlug] Newbie: Kubuntu Configuration

On 10/16/07, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:

> ~$ locale
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LANGUAGE=en_US:en
> LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
This | should "encourage" UTF-8 content, so Japanese
works inside the apps.

> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
This | should put messages *from the computer to you*
in English, including menus, prompts and errors.

> LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=

Why locale doesn't print out XMODIFIERS, I don't know,
but to get Japanese input under X you may need to set
LANG=ja_JP (I think just LC_CTYPE=ja_JP should be
enough) and you must set XMODIFIERS="@im=anthy"
(or whatever @im setting gives you your IM of choice).

If that doesn't get you much closer to what you're looking for,
you may need to go to an Ubuntu expert.

HTH