Re: [tlug] Newbie: Kubuntu Configuration

On Tuesday 16 October 2007 13:23, CL wrote:
>How do I keep my basic English desktop with fully functioning English
>online help and basic support services in English, but get full
> Japanese functionality in Kubuntu.

I am running Debian with an English language environment where it is
possible to also type and display Japanese. I don't run any software
that is Japanese-only, so i can't test how that would behave. However,
one thing to check comes to mind: what is your locale? If you open a
terminal and type "locale" it should display a list of variables. On my
machine they are mostly set to "en_US.UTF-8". If i wasn't using a UTF-8
locale then i would expect to some difficulty getting a mixed
environment with English and a non-European language working correctly.