Re: [tlug] xen and windows

> I know that it isn't in your spec, but I am using vmware server (the
> free version) under gentoo and I have installed a windows XP as a
> virtual machine.  It was fairly straightforward, install vmware, set
> up the virtual machine, boot it with XP CD, and install like you would
> a normal computer.  As to whether this set-up can use several CPUs in
> the virtual machine, I don't know.

but does VMware server run ie?

Isn't that one thing Darren wanted to do?

I didn't think it did and so purchased the workstation. Xen was just not
installing XP and I didn't really have the time to figure out why.

In either case, I'd make sure to get a cpu with visualization support.
The chipset and bios need to support it as well.  This is a requirement
for XP on Xen I believe and offers better performance for XP on vmware.

Shawn