[tlug] xen and windows

I have a dream: a shining new 4-core computer, running linux, but that
at a touch of a button would turn into a windows XP computer, and that
all just works without me having to study stuff and understand internals.

I can get an acceptable spec 4-core machine for around 110,000 yen. I
was trying to stay under 100K, but if prices don't drop the extra bit in
the next few weeks I'll give in. So, no problem there. Running linux?
Also no problem.

So, what's all this about Xen and windows? I've read up enough to know I
need an Intel "VT" CPU. But does it just work? Google is not giving me a
clear answer. Is this still cutting edge stuff, and I'll be better off
carrying on with a dedicated windows machine? Can I buy a new machine
with windows pre-installed, then add xen and linux afterwards? Or does
xen and linux need to go on first?

My windows needs are modest (remote desktop, visual C++ for fairly
simple programs, IE to check my websites are not accidentally
firefox-only, etc.), but the past few months they've become daily needs,
and always having two machines running feels wasteful. NB. Dual boot is
*not* an option; I always need linux applications (e.g. my email) open
at the same time.

Darren

P.S. xensource.com is running aspx pages: is that a good or bad sign? :-)

--
Darren Cook
http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (English-Japanese-German-Chinese free dictionary)