RE: [tlug] Vendor lock-in vs monopoly

The advertising clause isn't an issue any more.

It has been removed completely from the current
version of the BSD License, as well as retroactively
removing it from all of their own software that the
license was used on.

As for acknowledgement, the way the license reads, the
author or contributor could easily move acknowledgments
to their own file in the documentation.  All it says about
acknowledgements, is that they should be SOMEWHERE. :-)  The
program itself never need make a peep about who did what.

It is expected to be in a comment block in the source code
somewhere, or in one of the distributed documentation files.

I used to be worried about the advertisement clause as well.
It was the main reason I ever looked to GPL to begin with.  Now
that it is gone, and GPL is starting to pick up more derangements
than some Peopled RPG characters...  Well, I think it is time for
me to give it another look over.  :P  In it's current form it is
almost identical to the MIT license, just a few more lines of
text. Hehe.

--
Ken