Re: [tlug] dual boot - Windows/Linux

On 9/30/07, Greg Thomson <gregt@example.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:55:25 +0900, Keith Bawden <keith@example.com> wrote:
> > I would ensure the data is backed up on a
> > more regular basis than usual or the data is expendable.
>
> I think backing up data is important no matter what file system is used.

Of course but please re-read what I have said, and place emphasis on
the "on a more regular basis than usual" part.

I do agree with you that this is definitely a viable option. However,
this choice may create more opportunity for data loss and corruption
than I would be comfortable with.

As for fat32 having a 32 GB file system size limit this is not
entirely correct. You cannot create a 32 gb file system using the
Windows XP tools[1]. In theory at least you can have an 8 terabyte
fat32 volume... the 4 gb file size limit for video folk would
definately be a show stopper.

I just did a quick read up on the NTFS-3G driver for Linux. If the
"marketing" speak is to be believed then this sounds like it may be a
good option as well[2].

In the end another option is to go with some kind of network
accessible storage device to share your data. For example, Samba or
NFS[3] shares. These options will of course introduce a whole bunch of
other "problems"...

Regards, Keith

[1] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463
[2] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324055