[tlug] recovering from hosed GRUB

Dear TLUG,

I tried to increase the NTFS partition on my dual-boot R50e Thinkpad (Debian Sarge). I got into trouble messing around and now I get GRUB Error 22 immediately.

I tried to use Knoppix to to do a grub-install (following Knoppix Hacks p. 172), but that failed with "The file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly". That file is readable (from e.g. emacs), but apparently something is wrong with it. From Knoppix I can also read and write the partitions I was using for my own data.

With QTParted I see my old Linux partitions OK and also the IBM_Preload (gigantic) partition. But I also see many 0.03 mb partitions scattered around, including at the start of the disk.

I am happy to rebuild the Debian system, but I do not have a copy of the original IBM preload stuff to restore (the machine was a special cheapie that does not have a CD write drive), and the restore system built into the machine (which reload a fresh WinXP from the IBM_Restore partition) needs to boot up from the disk to work.

I guess I can do an install-mbr from Knoppix and hopefully access the IBM recovery stuff? I thought I would ask advice before taking that step-- something I have not done before and fear may make things worse.

Thanks kindly,

David Riggs