RE: [tlug] Where can I buy Debian CDs in Tokyo?

<snip>

> I think you mean "assimilate", not "adapt".

<snip>

> I agree with you that the melting pot is the key to America's success.
> But you should remember that America responded to each wave of
> immigration by adapting to the immigrants, as well as vice versa.  I
> see no contradiction between being a stubborn people and adapting well
> to America.

Of course, do remember that the first wave of Chinese immigrants
hit the shores of the "New World" when that was still the only label
that Europe had for it (i.e. we were still a British colony).

For those whose families have been here that long, they have just
as much claim to say this is their home land as any white man.  If
said white men can bring their culture over from Europe and say that
is the way things should be in our neighborhood, then they can too.

I think that probably has at least a bit to do with why Chinese
culture is able to fit in so well in the states.  There is a
"China Town" in almost every big city, because the China Town
area was one of the first neighborhoods to pop up, unofficially
of course.

That has been the case for so long, that the idea of "China Town"
is as much a part of American culture now as the county fair or
the farmers market.

--
Ken