Re: [tlug] A place to connect my laptop

Simon Cozens writes:

 > Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

 > >  > Use the nenkan, it tells you everything: in 2005, 80.5% of households
 > >  > had a computer and 89.6% had a keitai.

 > > Excuse me?  Somebody is like sorta uninformed; the bare minimum keitai
 > > has more compute power than the machines that put men on the moon.

 > Oh, goodie. Do we get to have the "words have meanings" versus "words
 > have uses" discussion again? Yes, "computer" *means* "thing which
 > computes" and so keitais and human beings are included in that
 > description, but "computer" is used to *mean* laptop/desktop.

Well, my point was actually a little more subtle than that.  Most of
my students (in Japan) *have* computers but much prefer their keitais
for almost everything, except for writing essays longer than will fit
a keitai screen---which most would rather drop the class than do.

IIRC the original context was "computer that is/can be connected to
the Internet", in which case keitais definitely are relevant.