Re: [tlug] WLAN set up [SOLVED]

TLUG,

I'm currently coming at you live from my hot spot location at my local Tully's, thanks to having solved the wireless LAN card set up problems.

I reinstalled just about every package to do with wireless connections, and removed and re-installed my LAN card drivers, hopefully to have a more or less fresh start.

Then I found this page:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/control-center/+bug/61381

Turns out, the problem was to do with two files, /etc/network/interfaces, and /etc/hosts.

In /etc/hosts, there was this one messed up line, that looked like this:
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

I removed that line, and left the rest of the file as-is, and that took care of the Gnome boot up problem.

Then, I wiped out everything in my /etc/network/interfaces file, and replaced everything with this:
iface lo inet loopback
auto lo
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Then I ran these three commands:
sudo ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

And then I started to see all sorts of activity on my WLAN card. Sweet.

Of course, the process was not quite as smooth as described here, but I think that's the summary that should hopefully get things to work if anyone, or myself, has to refer to this to get a LAN card to work.

Hey... maybe I should make an entry on the TLUG Wiki about this...?

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G