Re: [tlug] Policy on debug codes

2007/9/13, Darren Cook <darren@example.com>:
> >> Are you talking about a scripting language (like PHP), or a compiled
> >> language (like C++)? And open source, or commercial-selling-software, or
> >> commercial-written-for-a-client?
> >
> > In my case, it is Perl and commercial-written-for-a-client
>
> In that case I'd usually ask the client what they want.

Yes, I will.

> Generally, if you are talking about asserts I'd leave them in unless
> they cause a performance problem; if talking about trace statements I'd
> inserted to track down bugs I'd usually comment them out (or in C/C++
> wrap them in a TRACE() macro so they can be defined away); if talking
> about logging you need to document it (e.g. warn the client it'll fill
> their disk after N months if they don't rotate it) and provide a setting
> to control how verbose the logging is.

I my case it is something like TRACE(). I will it to eradicate bugs.
After all bugs are fixed, of course TRACE() can be removed. The
annoying thing is that because the development cycle is short ( 1-2
months ), then if we remove all the trace, then we may need to
re-insert them again because they are useful for debugging...

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu