Re: [tlug] A place to connect my laptop

TLUG,

Thanks to everyone for helping out.

Based on the suggestions here, I've determined that they have an encryption certificate in their network settings. I think it's a WEP key, but I can't find where the equivalent entry point unfortunately in Ubuntu would be for the same kind of stuff.

I think I've decided to go with the M-Zone option. Overall, 1500 yen a month is going to be a lot cheaper than going to net cafes for the next two weeks.

I found out a little more about it. One minor annoyance is that if you're signed up on M-Zone, then it costs possibly up to 500 yen to connect to the net in a Yahoo BB Mobile Point area. That's a little disappointing because I think Yahoo Mobile Point has more points of coverage around town.

But, in my current situation, this is only a temporary fix, and M-Zone has it's own proprietary coverage in a few key spots around Ebisu station, which works for me.

The real decision in favor of M-Zone is that they seem to be the only one where you can actually walk into a store and sign up in person. Other services have stumped me with a bewildering array of bureaucratic hurdles that have to be accomplished with web and phone contact that add a layer of obscurity.

So now the main hurdle is getting my new wireless net card to work within Ubuntu. I looked at a bunch of web sites, and they all say that Ubuntu will automagically detect most WiFi cards at installation. However, information at this point is a little lacking about how to install a card after Ubuntu is already on the machine.

I've only begun to look, though, so hopefully later tonight I'll get things sorted.

<sarcasm>
Just what I was hoping to do this month... more computer set up! Yay!
</sarcasm>

--
Dave M G