[tlug] X11, DVI and 1080p Output

At Starling we need some sort of large display for group hacking sessions and the like. We're thinking our best option for this is a large-panel (37V) LCD high-definition TV (1920x1080), since that's brighter and substantially cheaper than a projector with better than 1024x768 resolution.

Getting X11 to do analog 720p output to my home projector was an
interesting exercise; X11 didn't pick up any standard mode lines for
1280x720, probably because it's not a standard VGA resolution, and I
ended up having to use a Windows program whose name I forget at the
moment to muck about with the video modes until I got it right, and then
I had that program generate an X11 mode line for me.

However, in this case it appears to be that we'll be using digital,
rather than analog, output. This from their talk of HDMI and looking at
the picture of the DVI connector here:

    http://www.regza.jp/product/tv/functions/17z.html#Point2

You'll note that the connector shown on the computer lacks the four pins
for analogue output on either side of the ground blade connector.

Has anybody set up something similar? Were there any issues in getting
things to work, and with using an HDTV resolution rather than a more
standard VGA resolution?

cjs