Re: [tlug] New computer parts

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:

The low-power 45 watt processor was chosen to help keep the machine
quiet.

Actually, this will only make a difference when you're maxing out your CPU usage, at least for AMD CPUs. With their "Cool 'n' Quiet" technology, the fan speed of the CPU fan will be varied based on the CPU's cooling requirements (I believe that one we're using drops down to about 1200 RPM at idle), so all you're really doing there is putting a lower top limit on your CPU speed).

cjs