Re: [tlug] NTT Hikari Fiber - Does it "Just Work" with Linux (Kubuntu)?

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007, Keith Bawden wrote:

I'm surprised. Did you specifically ask to not have a router provided?

I don't know, off-hand; Bryan did the ordering. However, I've just ordered a home fibre connection from Asahi-Net, though, and I've received CDs and cables from them, but no router, and they didn't indicate that they would provide one.

Are you sure you're not thinking about home connections where people
also buy IP-phone service? Typically there, a router would be provided
because a device is needed for the VOIP conversion, and most people
don't typically have one of those.

If so I would suspect Lyle's friend to want the easiest solution. ISP
provided router with his LAN (or single box) sitting behind it.

Certainly. Although it's probably very nearly as easy for him to buy his own router.

My point about business lines being different form home packages was
more to highlight that with a home service you should expect an ISP
provided router to be available and offered by default.

Well, this is anecdotal, of course, my experience says different. I'll also note that I didn't get a router with my home DSL connection.

A business line is usually the other way around.

Actually, I've used several business services in Tokyo that did not use PPoE, but did provide a router, albeit at the central office end of the fibre rather than as customer premises equipment.

cjs