Re: [tlug] NTT Hikari Fiber - Does it "Just Work" with Linux (Kubuntu)?

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Keith Bawden wrote:

The thread was about home usage (or at least I think it is). I cannot
imagine a home package not coming with a compatible router for the
service on offer.

Well, we have a home package, and we didn't get a router. (We're in a typical "SoHo" situation; our building's apartments are about evenly split between use for office space and use for living space.)

A business line is of course a totally different kettle of fish. for
example a business USEN line will come with a media converter (fibre
to copper) and nothing else. Plugging your box directly into the media
converter works as USEN also provides DHCP services directly.

As does the "8-IP-Address" home Usen service. And this very definitely is a home service; they will refuse to install it in office buildings (though they will install it in offices in apartment buildings).

cjs