Re: [tlug] NTT Hikari Fiber - Does it "Just Work" with Linux (Kubuntu)?

Keith Bawden wrote:
> On 9/6/07, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure which path to recommend....
>>

> I would go fiber every time. I've used both ADSL and fiber here in J
> and I can honestly say the fiber is far far better in pretty much
> every aspect.
>
> The fact that the link is shared has never had a discernible impact on
> my experience. For example I used to use IPTV with an ADSL line. If I
> checked my email and there was a large attachment my TV would become
> stilted. With fiber I can be using bitorrent, downloading an iso,
> doing a net install of debian and the picture never skips a beat.

I would generally agree, and I have always gone with fiber where
possiable, but it isn't always going to be faster/better and there are
no real guarantees (i.e. best effort).  When I was getting fiber
installed the technician said I would probably have been better with
ADSL because I was very close to the nearest station and they had
apparently been getting lots of complaints from people getting poor
performance after changing to fiber.  His explanation was that they had
too many users on the same  link.

Edward