Re: [tlug] NTT Hikari Fiber - Does it "Just Work" with Linux (Kubuntu)?

Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
> Yes, having a router between the Internet and his computer makes his
> computer more secure.

Assuming the router is secure.  If it is a hardware router that does not
have security patches provided by the vendor then you are SOL.

>> I told by friend that I
>> imagined he's be okay switching, but the NTT guy insisted that some
>> sort of set-up was necessary.
>>
> I hate them! I have talked with a saleman of Yodobashi camera. I asked
> him if I can make a "home server" with B-Flets, then he gave me a blank
> look. Of course he didn't know what is a dynamic IP, static IP, DHCP, Linux.

Yodobashi generally has at least one person with a clue, or with the
ability to get the answers you need (ask for help in Japanese).  I
actually found them more useful then the dion Hikari One support line
which wouldn't forward my call because I had previously used them and
couldn't remember my old account number.

> NTT ( not NTT-Docomo ) knows that from 2010 when all TV will be
> digitalized, their dialog lines will become less popular. So what they
> want to do is get as much as they can users using their new lines. The
> businesses it are: Digital TV and IP phones.

I think the thing Lyle's friend is experiencing is more to do with the
nature of the mansion plan.  It cost NTT less for every extra person
they can connect through the same fiber.

Edward