[tlug] Copyright and TLUG (was: Perhaps of intereste to Sci Fi Fans)

On 01/09/07, Shawn <javajunkie@example.com> wrote:

> I was curious on fair use and looked into that at
> http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107

That section would seem to indicate that I can copy the entirety of a
copyrighted work and redistribute it on this list, since it is for the
purpose of criticism, comment, or news reporting, depending on how you
look at it. But that does not seem quite right in terms of how
copyright law is applied in the US.

I think we need a lawyer to straighten this out right, but in lieu of
that, Steve, do you have any thoughts on this issue?

Also, this section may well apply to us, as we archive our lists:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#108

> in any case it is a mute point:
>
> http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/chinfoprivacy.html
>
> All information on this site is considered public information and may be
> distributed or copied.

So this usage was fine, coincidentally. Still, as the OP did not know
that at the time, he should have taken the time to run down the
copyright and include it at the bottom of the post.

Here at TLUG, I think we will want to err on the side of caution when
it comes to copyrighted material. Especially when a link and a summary
is just as good--if not better--since people can read the summary and
decide if they are interested enough to read the whole article before
downloading the extra 10K. :)

--
Cheers,
Josh