Re: Gotta Learn Vi . . . . . . (was Re: [tlug] [Newbie] Becoming'root'in Kubuntu: Use sudo)

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, steven smith wrote:

I guess that what I really want to say is that between your speculation and Bill Joy's quotation, I'll take Joy's quote. He was there.

He was there thirty years ago, yes. We probably can't get definitive here, so you'll have to make your own decision about 30-year-old memory versus logic in a casual question session.

To say that he was working on code for curses then someone else
implemented it at a later date and try to tie the two together seems
to be stretching things to me.

Well, now you're refusing to take the word of the author of curses, who claimed only shortly after the fact that he took a bunch of the code from vi.

If he said he used a 300 baud modem, I'll just believe him unless I
have a really good reason not to.

Well, you also have a really good reason to believe it; even in 1982 1200 bps modems were pretty rare, so if he used a modem, it was likely a 300 bps one.

It's amazing the extent you will go to just to avoid out typing the cursor.

I would *love* to see you, or anyone, out-type a 150bps link for more than a second.

cjs