Re: Gotta Learn Vi . . . . . . (was Re: [tlug] [Newbie] Becoming'root'in Kubuntu: Use sudo)

Curt Sampson wrote:
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, steven smith wrote:

steven smith wrote:
Curt Sampson wrote:

This, I'm not buying. Do you have a plausable explanation why the key sequence for vi's "change to end of line" command is noticably more
:1,$s/curt//g

Opps -- guess that's ed syntax.

It's also perfectly valid ex and vi syntax, though I find '%' easier to type than '1,$'.

I'm not at all clear on what you're trying to say, however.

cjs
I guess that what I really want to say is that between your speculation and Bill Joy's quotation, I'll take Joy's quote. He was there. To say that he was working on code for curses then someone else implemented it at a later date and try to tie the two together seems to be stretching things to me. Considering the lack of processor power and memory and the cost of disk space back then, I would think he did everything he could to optimize. Highly optimized code isn't usually readily reused.

If he said he used a 300 baud modem, I'll just believe him unless I have a really good reason not to. It's amazing the extent you will go to just to avoid out typing the cursor.

Steve S.