[tlug] Re: proposal for talk on LaTeX

Here is a list of the topics I think are relevant for a talk on
understanding and using CJK with LaTeX:

I. review of tex/latex structure, where everything goes in the TDS.
 1. system and local Tex trees
 2. the NFSS and font file generation
 3. PS (Type1), TTF, OTF, encoding vectors
 4. LaTeX/dvips and pdftex
 5. alternatives like luatex (in development), xetex, and others

II. multilingual and CJK with LaTeX
 1. CJK package, babel, and multilingual LaTeX
 2. free fonts, encodings, and usage
 3. UTF8 particulars and generation of fonts

III. examples of CJK documents and incorporation of commercial fonts
 1. basic modified business card for Japanese use
 2. enhancements with PSTricks and xcolor
 3. using Windows TTF fonts
    a) fontforge and basics of editing fonts
        i) making half-width katakana for Wadalab fonts
        ii) making uneditable fonts editable
        iii) breaking a huge CJK font into subfonts for LaTeX to use
    b) converting TTFs for use with LaTeX
        i) getting the TTF font (extracting, makingeditable)
        ii) making subfonts
        iii) making a map file
        iv) making a font definition file
        v) copying the files to the correct locations in the TDS
        vi) rehashing and updating map files to let LaTeX and dvips
use the new fonts
        vii) making a test file to show off the new fonts--how to get
ASCII to display!
    c) [later I want to add this] how to use TTFs directly with pdftex
    d) [maybe] discussion of OTF with LaTeX
 4. enhancing the business card with new fonts (latex/dvips and pdftex routes)
 5. making a presentation or poster with Japanese fonts
     a) ppower4, powerdot, texpower, pdfscreen, sciposter, pspresent,
chaksem, beamer,
        prosper, foiltex, pdfslide, ...
        One example using powerdot for presentation and sciposter for poster.
         (note on Texpoint and Aurora for MS Windows users using Powerpoint).

That's about it, all the stuff that I feel is vital to know for
creating customized font-rich documents. I'd guess one hour would be
sufficient, but I could make it shorter or longer as needed.

Let me know what you think (additions, subtractions, anything I forgot...)
Cheers, Gernot