RE: Gotta Learn Vi . . . . . . (was Re: [tlug] [Newbie] Becoming'root'in Kubuntu: Use sudo)

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007, burlingk@example.com wrote:

From: steven smith

The original vi only had the few commands below It worked
over a 300 baud modem.

This fact actually makes the mode thing make sense. Correcting a mistake over a 300 baud modem would have to be scarry....

I don't think this is exactly the point. First of all, the original vi was developed on and for 9600 bps text terminals, and second, even modern vi works on a 300 bps link. (nvi still has support for shortening the screen size based on the terminal speed, as far as I know.)

 With mode editing at least, you Don't have to worry (as much) about
accidently entering the wrong text while you are moving from one line
to another.

The great advantage of vi's modal editing is that, unless you switch in and out of insert mode far more than you should be doing, you get your movement and change commands in fewer keystrokes, and with less motion away from the home row, than with non-modal editors, which force you in to using alt and meta keys and the like for many movement and editing commands.

cjs