Re: [tlug] New computer parts

Jason Hall ????????:
c) I want an external firewire connector for a digital video camera.
USB2.0 is another choice. Firewire is a *little* faster than Firewire but if you consider the availability,
USB 2.0 maybe a wiser choice. You can use USB 2.0 for both external HDD or your camera.

Once you connect your camera with your computer with a Firewire cable, you can't use the camera anymore.
Just compare with a USB 2.0 card reader - it is much more convenient.
So here are my questions.

1) Is it better to find a board with two IDE connectors or is it any problem
to add a 2,000 yen PCI card to get a couple more? (In that case, can I
connect 6 drives or just 4?)
No IMO. But IDE will slow you down because of its speed limitation. I prefer SATA in this case -
only if you can switch to SATA or get a newer Mobo.
2) Same for the firewire. Any significant difference between onboard or an
added PCI card?

No. I am a fan of USB 2.0 so I strongly recommend USB 2.0 instead of Firewire.

You concern maybe the speed of the combo: IDE + Firewire. You choices are:

1. USB 2.0 ( external HDD ) + USB 2.0 ( camera )
2. USB 2.0 ( external HDD ) + Firewire ( camera )
3. SATA ( HDD ) + USB 2.0
4. SATA ( HDD ) + Firewire.
5. IDE ( HDD ) + Firewire
6. IDE ( HDD ) + USB.

4. is the fastest and 6. is the slowest. Don't go for 6 ( or even 5. ) if you care about the speed.
IDE is slow and if you have to copy 4GB or 8GB of pictures each time like me, you will have to wait a long time.