RE: [tlug] New computer parts

About the new computer I'm looking to put together and my questions about
IDE and Firewire connectors ...

Lyle wrote:
> ...nealy all the computers I"ve bought over the past eleven years
> have been used production boxes.

Me too. I haven't had a new computer for years. It's about time.

David wrote:
> Assuming you get two channels on the PCI card, they will happily
> add to the one on the motherboard.  This gives 6 drives in total.
> Same for the firewire.

Cool. I hadn't thought about adding on more IDE connectors before. So now I
can go back and look at all the boards I rejected based on these missing
features. --> information overload

> Keep in mind however that not every mainboard today comes with two or
> more ordinary PCI slots.

I've noticed. I guess now my priority will be boards with enough PCI slots,
if they don't have IDE or Firewire.

Thanks for the info. I still don't know what to do about video though.
Nobody replied about that one.

Original video question:
> It must run 2 19" LCD monitors (that have both VGA and DVI connectors).
> I don't run games though so don't need the best and fastest graphics,
> though I do intend to edit some home video.

> Would I be better off with 2 identical video cards with VGA/DVI
> connections or a single card with 2 connectors? (Ideally I'd like to
> have the option to run VGA if necessary.)

- Jason