Re: [tlug] Re: Gotta Learn Vi: Vi Sucks: Modedness

Stuart Luppescu wrote:

> ... the one thing about vi that drives me crazy is the modedness.

Me too.

> I can never tell what mode I'm in. I seem to remember seeing somewhere a
> secret switch that would list the current mode at the bottom of the
> screen somewhere. Anyone know how this is done?

I guess I'm lucky. The defaults work for me.
If I'm in insert or replace mode,
I see or "-- INSERT --" or "-- REPLACE --" on the bottom line.

But I don't look. When I get confused, I just bang on the escape
key several times to force it out of insert of replace mode.
Visual mode is harder to get out of.

Jim