Re: [tlug] [Newbie] Becoming 'root' in Kubuntu -- AV concerns

On 24/08/07, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:

> Is installing an AV program a good idea?

Clamav seems OK. I consider virus scanners on a Linux workstation
completely unnecessary, but I don't think clamav will do any harm.

If you are a Linux user, you are probably not automatically executing
.exe and .scr attachments, and I *hope* you have Javascript turned off
in your MUA. If you roll like this, your biggest concern is running
programs with root privileges. So don't do that, and turn off *all*
services until you need them! That includes SSH and Apache, and
especially shite like Samba. Shit, I would not even run cupsd unless I
am planning to print, and then it is only listening on 127.0.0.1
(which is, I hope, the default in Ubuntu).

Being a BOFH tends to protect you from bad shite. :)

--
Cheers,
Josh