Re: [tlug] [Newbie] Becoming 'root' in Kubuntu -- AV concerns

burlingk@example.com wrote:

Also, even though Linux has fewer viruses
targeted at it, there are a few.  Not to
mention, targeted non-automated attacks
do happen on occasion.  How much access
these attackers and/or viruses have to
your system, is directly related to the
level of access that you have when they
successfully get through.

I was saving this issue for another time, but as long as you've seen fit to raise it here, I'll plunge ahead ...

Is installing an AV program a good idea? Anyone have a religious preference? I have been running clamav in Xandros (it is part of the standard desktop installed base), but avast! is available for Debian and it it is what I use / prefer in WIN. Having unpacked and installed it once before, it seems to be only nominally like the WIN version, like so many other ported programs. Clamav, on the other hand, is a Linux program that can be installed straight out of the existing repository.

That said, I am working on a response to
the OP's email also, discussing how to do
what he wants to do. ^^;;

Well, I got the job done, but I would appreciate a solution that didn't require holding the target in a machinists vice while applying the BFH and the two meter breaker bar.

--
CL