[tlug] Re: how to find Windows Desktop from linux?

On 8/22/07, Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo@example.com> wrote:
> I've run into an odd problem which I don't remember having. I mount my
> Japanese Windows XP partition on my i386 (Pentium M) Toshiba laptop in
> linux (Debian GNU/linux unstable) using ntfs-3g (done in my fstab
> file). It seems all folders are visible, except one: the "Desktop".
> Even a find command cannot locate files that I know exist in my
> Desktop on that windows partition.
>
> However, when I unmount and then remount the partition (as root or as
> normal user), then the Dekstop and Start Menu folders are again
> visible along with their contents. I should note that these are also
> the only 2 folders that are written in Japanese characters. Now find
> can do its job successfully again too.

To follow-up, this is information I found on the NTFS-3G site, related
to this topic:

"Why do I get "Skipping unrepresentable filename (inode XXXXX) ..." messages?
    This means that your Operating System (OS) doesn't have the
correct language specific settings (locale, LANG variable, etc) thus
some filenames can't be converted to your language and won't be
visible. The reason can be that the setting wasn't configured during
installation, or not the correct value was set, or the set value
doesn't exist on your system. The most common explanation is when the
OS configures this setting in a too late stage during the boot
process, after the NTFS volume was already mounted. This is why
unmounting then mounting such volumes after boot often makes all
filenames visible.

    Solution: The OS vendor should move the language specific
configuration to an earlier phase to precede the mounts of the NTFS
volumes in time."

So in Debian unstable perhaps that is an issue at the moment. I'll
have to see what the recommended response is for this in unstable (bug
report at the package maintenance site).