Re: [tlug] Open Codecs (was Re: [CoLoCo] RESPECT MICROSOFT)

On 20/08/07, Niels Kobschätzki <n.kobschaetzki@example.com> wrote:

> The whole discussion just lets me think - what are actually free (as
> in beer) codecs and container-formats (actually - are there
> containers that have to be licensed?) for music and video?

Well, isn't free as in speech more important here?

Free container formats:
- Ogg
- MPEG

Free codecs:
- Vorbis
- Theora
- FLAC
- XViD

These are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Codecs
proposed by the MPEG should be open standards, AFAIK. Marcus, Godwin,
you guys want to help me out here?

--
Cheers,
Josh