Re: [tlug] Best sound card for Linux

On 8/19/07, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:
> I would have thought that Creative/Sound Blaster would be the safest bet
> for Linux support, just based on the fact that it's so widely used and
> probably the hardware that people would attempt to develop for.
>
> However a search on the net indicates that this is actually not the case
> at all. I have seen many sites warning people away from using
> Creative/Sound Blaster cards entirely.

Hmm... I haven't bought any sound cards for a couple of years, but the
Creative ones I bought before worked fine with Linux (at least for
playing back sound - I haven't try to use them for recording).  The
only sound driver trouble I've had was with whatever on-board sound
chip came with a Dell OptiPlex GX1 (or maybe GX10 or GXa).  It
actually made the system (with an older version of Suse) unbootable
and I fixed the problem by setting the BIOS to ignor the motherboard
sound chip and then I installed a Creative Sound Blaster board that
worked fine.

Lyle