RE: [tlug] RE: Subject: Windows Is Free - article now public

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007, burlingk@example.com wrote:

A dustbin qualifies as concealment, not cover.

They make ok projectiles at short range.

But how much kinetic energy can you really put into a dustbin?

It seems to me that in that use, they'd qualify as cover (in the
"covering fire" sense), but not concealment.

(One of my favourite "miscommunication due to differing use of
terminology" stories is this one:

  http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usawc/Parameters/97summer/schnau.htm

I certainly agree with the author that, "the American proclivity for
satisfying political decisions by using conventional military forces to
produce effects that are foreign to their nature." is a "well-turned
phrase."

As an aside, the U.S. military is interesting to study because it's one
of the few large organizations (well, complex of organizations) to take
seriously the idea of studying what it's done and what it does, and
working to improve based on that.

cjs