Re: [tlug] Skype Withdrawal: OSS VOIP Opportunity: What is Chat?

On Sat Aug 18 13:54:53 2007, burlingk@example.com wrote:

> [...]

Well from what I can see it looks quite like Skype.  Sure there are
some difference but it has similar icons, similar interface, uses
similar terms and menu names etc.

The third question in their faq is "What's the difference with Skype" -
which tells me they are very aware of Skype.  And Skype was created
first.

As you say though this doesn't neccesarily mean that they are a Skype
rip-off but I still think they could be.  There may be a better way to
describe it though as the phrase "rip-off" has derogatory connotations.
What I'm trying to say is that Openwengo has tried to recreate the same
sort of user experience end users have with Skype.  They are doing this
using open standards and open source. I assume that they also want to
create a better product than Skype.

> Skype was not the first service of their kind, they were simply one of
> the most successful to date.  :-)

Indeed :)

--
Karen