Re: [tlug] Re: [WAY-OT]US politics

On 8/17/07, burlingk@example.com <burlingk@example.com> wrote:

# SNIP

> > > Voting isn't optional in Australia.

# SNIP

> I can't really say if I think compulsory voting is good or bad. ^^;;
> What about people who are about as politically involved as a turnip,
> that just show up, fill in a ballot at random, and wander off? ^_^

I used to think it was a bad idea. However I now think the pros
outweigh the cons.

As far as turnips voting - they do. However, there is also a very very
large group of people in the middle that would not vote if they did
not have to, and they usually are not turnips.

Anyway "turnips" who lodge donkey votes also play a role in the
Australian political system [1].

Regards, Keith

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_voting