Re: [tlug] Skype Withdrawal: OSS VOIP Opportunity

jep200404 wrote:
CL wrote:

Am I the only one going through Skype Withdrawal[?]

This is an opportunity. What can OSS VOIP do better than Skype?

Agreed. I started to read up on how to implement that package when I realized Skype wasn't going to be available for more than the 12~24 hour estimate the company provided. Still have a way to go, but I think that it may be installed as a backup, if not an alternative means of contacting people when Skype isn't available.

However, I note that a lot of what I have learned about Linux recently has been aimed at firefighting instead of improving my own particular desktop to my needs. I look forward to more of the latter as time goes on. As a newbie, though, it is good practice ... or, as a long-ago drill instructor used to say "Panic and fear; they build strong character twelve ways."

Obviously, one possibility is that OSS might be less vulnerable to a single point of failure than Skype.

Skype failed due to programmer error (whether singular or multiple instances of either, I don't know) ... or, so they claim. As I was reading, I was still thinking that OSS has the same potential vulnerability in that regard.

--
CL