Re: [tlug] Re: [CoLoCo] RESPECT MICROSOFT

On 17/08/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> By the way, interesting things are happening right now in electronic
> voting, with the New York State law requiring escrow of designs and
> code for *all* hardware and software in voting machines:

Good for them; this is a step in the right direction.

But I agree with Bruce Schneier on this issue (surprise surprise): the
only way to do electronic voting is to produce a paper audit trail,
where each voter gets a paper receipt of how his vote was cast that he
can verify. If there is trouble after the election, those paper
receipts count, not what the machine says.

Machine voting is bad. Machine voting on networked machines is sheer
idiocy. Remember the definition of a secure computing environment: a
machine that is powered off, encased in lead, locked in a
high-security vault, 10 km beneath the surface of the Earth, etc. etc.
;)

--
Cheers,
Josh