Re: [tlug] copyright and theft [was: unicode font with czech ...]

tlug@example.com writes:

 > I fully understand copyright law.  You may notice in my original
 > comment that I made no mention of using said fonts on Linux...

Well, as long as they were left in their original sectors and never
used to render anyting, you're OK AIUI.

 > I was pretty angry at the state of the computer industry for
 > allowing Microsoft to force their software on manufacturers in ways
 > that I think should be illegal.

It is illegal to force it; the Microsoft tax no longer exists,
companies no longer have a legal obligation to pay for copies of
Windows for machines on which Windows is not installed.  There are
other power plays that Microsoft can use, and evidently Dell at least
is very scared of them.  However, these are the moral equivalent of
taking your ball home if you don't get to bat cleanup.  Not very
appetizing, but it's hard to see how they can be prohibited without
seriously screwing up freedom of trade.

 > I wanted to get *something* from it aside from a lousy sticker... ;)

Too bad; you can leave the fonts on disk, but you can't copy them or
use them (fonts are special, that way).