Re: [tlug] unicode font with czech and japanese characters

Sorry about the bogus multi-MIME encoding, I've managed to confuse
XEmacs more than usual about which charsets it should be using....

Michal Hajek writes:

 > This is a bit surprising. I guess there should be more than those 4
 > hits. I mean, there should be more fonts somewhere. So I should go and
 > install them on my system.

On the vanilla Mac (little installed from MacPorts, no non-standard
fonts), I get 10 Japanese fonts, mostly near-dupes:
 2 styles of Osaka,
 2 styles of fixed (one for Korean),
 2 styles of Hiragino Mincho,
 3 styles of Hiragino Gothic, and
 1 style of Hiragino Maru Gothic.

Of these the Hiragino fonts and the fixed fonts claim to do both
Japanese and Czech.

On my Gentoo box, 21:
 FS Gothic,Kochi Gothic,東風
ゴシック:style=Gothic,Regular,
標準
 FS Mincho,Kochi Mincho,東風
明朝:style=Mincho,Regular,
標準
 Kochi Gothic,東風
ゴシック:style=Regular,
標準
 Kochi Mincho,東風
明朝:style=Regular,
標準
 Fixed:style=ja
 Fixed:style=ko
 IPAGothic,IPAゴシック:style=Regular
 IPAMincho,IPA明朝:style=Regular
 IPAPGothic,IPA Pゴシック:style=Regular
 IPAPMincho,IPA P明朝:style=Regular
 IPAUIGothic,IPA UIゴシック:style=Regular
 Sazanami Gothic,さざなみゴシック:style=Gothic-Regular,Regular
 Sazanami Mincho,さざなみ明朝:style=Mincho-Regular,Regular
 aqua_pfont,あくあPフォント:style=Regular
 aquafont,あくあフォント:style=Regular
 mikachan,みかちゃん:style=Regular
 mikachan\-P,みかちゃん\-P:style=Regular
 mikachan\-PB,みかちゃん\-PB:style=Regular
 mikachan\-PS,みかちゃん\-PS:style=Regular
 mikachan\-puchi,みかちゃん\-ぷち:style=Regular
 mikachan\-puchiB,みかちゃん\-ぷちB:style=Regular

Of these mikachan and (IIRC) aquafont are handwriting-style.  Only
Sazanami Mincho, the fixed fonts, and the aqua fonts do Czech.

The MS Mincho fonts do Japanese and Czech.

I assume Arial does, I don't have it at the moment.

 > Thanks for pointing that out. I only add that the actual dpi could be
 > find with xdpyinfo.

Maybe.  Lots of monitors don't give correct numbers to the display
card, and sometimes it seems that X.org ignores them.