Re: [tlug] Re: [CoLoCo] RESPECT MICROSOFT

Shawn wrote:

see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War#China

I'll consider the source. From personal experience, we ran into Chinese and Chinese-led units in Cambodia and Laos. Chinese techs were known to have been lent to the North, but we never had a single shred of evidence that they crossed the 17th Parallel. We never considered that the people who never went west or south were combatants.

During a business trip in about 1992, I ran into a retired PLA colonel in Kunming who was working for the people we were there to negotiate with. It turned out that he and I not only knew of each other by the names the locals had given us, but that our mercenaries had squared off against their mercenaries more than once. We spent the next few days drinking ourselves silly and boring the hell out of the people we were with every evening.

Not sure I agree here.  As a young child riding the bus through the
inner city to get downtown where the xmen comics awaited, I noticed
something in faces and moods of people during those celebrations.
Because it has no meaning to you, does not derive it of meaning.

Xmen comics? The news stand at Hennepin and First was the only place in Minneapolis that sold Motor Cyclist, Bike, and the Guardian Weekly. That's why I went, anyway.

I sincerely doubt "Juneteenth" had any meaning to any of the people who lived in the small "inner city" when I was growing up. Broadway and Olsen Highway were not exactly Watts and the only riots we ever had took up one block of Plymouth Avenue where the kosher butcher we used to go to had his windows broken (my parents were New England Protestants and couldn't live without a kosher market close by to bring them food from "home").

The "modern black experience" in Minneapolis is 99.9% made up from Malcom X speeches and old Prince videos.

--
CL