Re: [tlug] unicode font with czech and japanese characters

* Stephen J. Turnbull (stephen@example.com) [070814 11:34]:
>> XTerm*font:  -*-fixed-medium-*-*-*-20-200-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*
> XTerm*faceName: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-16

I am afraid I am missing something here.
My experience with all this font busines is reduced to running xfontsel
and selecting (semi-randomly) fonts which look more or less acceptable.
Eg. I do not even see all the characters. First I select
rgstry -> iso10646 since I know I am using utf-8 terminal.
After I select
pxlsz -> 20  which is about the size which is convenient for my
eyes/scren etc.

This leaves me with 2 names. I input the selection into Xterm resource
file and after running $xterm somehow something gets selected.

>From this standpoint, finding "-*-fixed-medium-*-*-*-20-200-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*" is much easier than finding "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-16" (needless to say, that I do not know how to find this kind of name at all).

Now you know my (primitive?) way of working with fonts.

>> How do I veryfy which characters are in which font?
> You don't want to do that unless you're a real font geek.

:) I am not now. But I do not object to become one in the future.  My
point here is to simply express my attitude. I understand that your
answer is perfect for now.

>> Or, how do I find a font on my system which includes czech and japanese
>> characters?

> find ~ /usr/share/fonts -name '*fonts.cache-1' | xargs grep 'cs,.*ja\|ja,.*cs'

finds nothing. Too bad.

>> If there is no such font on my system, how can I find it on the
>> internet?
>
> "dpkg -l | grep font" will give a pretty long list.

yes. But than? I am able to find what files comes with what package. But
what I am supposed to do with this knowledge? Eg. how do I find which
names (of the type Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-16) comes eg. with the package
xfonts-shinonome or with filename like
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/shnmk16min.pcf.gz ?

Michal